Skip to main content

How a Young Lady can Save Her Family Over a Thousand Dollars a Year



Hanging Clothes On the Line
      According to my research it costs $0.50 to run the average dryer. Let's say we run 2 loads of laundry a day, that would save $30 a month! That would be $360 a year! That's a big chunk of change!
Summary
Month: $30
Year: $360

Washing Freezer Bags,
     Ok, this sounds a little weird, but hear me out. For the Great Value Cheapo Walmart Brand Bags it costs $5 a box. If we by 3 boxes a month between quart and gallon,. that's $15 a month, $180 a year! We wash our freezer bags, and a wonderful friend of mine showed me to hang them on a refrigerator magnet to dry. (Thanks Sarah!) Quick and easy, with a significant savings!
 Summary
Month: $15
Year: $180

Couponing
     I got REALLY into couponing a few years ago, and do you know what I found out? More often than not I ended up spending more money than I did without the coupons. Seeing good coupon deals made me buy things that I wouldn't have normally purchased, not to mention it gave me the desire to run to the store when we weren't going. I finally found a middle between becoming the next "extreme couponer" and not couponing at all. I started checking the coupon deals the day before I went to the store, but I didn't otherwise. I check Krazy Coupon Lady for the freebies, and I scroll through Swagbucks coupons (It shows the same coupons as coupons.com, but you get 10 Swagbucks for each coupon you use) for things my mom was going to buy anyway. We normally save about $10 a month. That would be $120 a year.
Summary
Month: $10
Year: $120

Teaching Lessons
     This is one my mom suggested. I think of this as applying specifically to music lessons. Do you play an instrument that your younger siblings are learning how to play? You could offer to teach them lessons and save your family a lot of money. It's good experience for you and you save some money while doing it. Win, win! There are other things this goes for too. Do you crochet, or sew? Are you good at math, history, spelling? While your parents may not normally pay for these other kinds of lessons, they would be extremely valuable skills for you to pass on. For all practical purposes, I am going to count lessons at $10 a week, which would be $40 a month and $480 a year!
Summary:
Month: $40
Year: $480

There are so many more things you can do to save your family money! My goal in this post was to only talk about things that were easily measurable, things that were easy to see how much money you are saving, and I tried to stick to that.
 The most important thing you can do to save your family money is controlling your desires and encouraging your siblings to do the same. Our parents want to buy the things that we want. By not expressing a desire to have the things we see we can take a load off of our parents. Other things you can do to save your family money include, gardening, baking, making cleaners and personal care products, thrift shopping, clearance shopping, making gifts, and SO many others!
 How do you save your family money? I would LOVE to hear about it!



Comments

  1. I first want to say I LOVE your blog!! I look forward to it every time you post a new post!!! I make laundry soap, hang clothes on the line and reuse are old clothes and shrink them to fit Ali or use the pieces to make a new clothing item. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace! I really appreciate that! Those are really great! We make laundry soap too, but mom tends to do that more than I do. I envy your sewing! I have never been able to sew well, and I think it's so great that you can!

      Delete
  2. i love the end. it IS really about controlling your desires. in SO MANY WAYS thats what life's about. make your desires God's desires. thats really deep stuff. hard even for a grown up lady like me. :P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dollar Tree Doll Hats Free Crochet Pattern

     Hello! Sorry it's been so long since I've done a post. I have gotten so caught up in packing season!!! God has been providing for us and multiplying our efforts more than I could have imagined this year! I can't wait to tell you all about it! But, that's going to have to wait until after packing season.      If you're looking for a quick last minute craft to add to your boxes, I have a crochet pattern for you. This quick and easy baby doll hat will fit the $1 Tree baby dolls, and only takes about a half hour to make. Are you ready? Let's get started! $1 Tree Baby Doll Hat Pattern Row 1: ch 3 sc 7 in first ch, sl st. to join. Row 2: ch 2, 2 sc in each stitch around, join. Row 3: ch 2, 2 sc in first stitch, 1 sc in next repeat around, join. Row 4: ch 2, 2 sc in first stitch, 1 sc in next 2 stitches repeat around, join. Row 5: ch 2, 2 sc in first stitch, 1 sc in next 3 stitches repeat around, join. Row 6: ch 3, dc in each stitch around, join. Ro

10 Ways to Stretch Hamburger

Hamburger is getting expensive now days! With our family of 7 we are constantly trying to find ways to cut down on our hamburger usage. These are my top 10 favorite ways to stretch hamburger. Beans Beans are one of my favorite things to use to make hamburger stretch. They taste similar, and they even look similar, the kids will never know. Whahahahaha! Rice We use rice a lot when it's going into burritos, or casseroles, it's a little more visible than beans, but it cuts in nicely. Onions Onions are nice because if you cut them up small they get translucent and you can hardly see them. Tomato Paste I know this sounds weird, but we put an 8 oz can of tomato paste in our taco meat the other night, it was wonderful! Bread Crumbs I'm not as fond of this one, and I only use it in a few recipes, but it is valuable in the ones I use it in. Barley I haven't tried this one yet, but I can't wait to try it. I love barley to start with, so this is going to b

My (Kinda) Senior Year

Since 9th grade I have been planning on graduating early. Well... I've been working on it since the end of 10th grade. Somehow going into 11th, this math didn't work out too well. So, this summer I hit it hard and tried to get my school work done. I had it figured out that in order to graduate early over this summer I had to do an extra 1/2 credit of History and an extra credit of Literature. I figured it wouldn't be to hard to get those done. What I forgot to figure in is that I would be gone for over 4 weeks this summer. Yeah, being gone for 1/3 of the time you have to get a lot done, doesn't work too well. Now starting my official junior year, and my hopeful senior year I have to buckle down and get my stuff done. Over the summer I was supposed to complete Bob Jones (BJU) 11th grade Literature and BJU American Government, which is a half credit book that according to the BJU curriculum you are supposed to do in 12th grade. Over the summer I DID complete all but